It’s an event full of Chinese folk-culture activities, live entertainment and art installations that provide the opportunity to explore both the ancient culture of China as well as to learn about China today!
Today on Indy Style, we learn more about the Indiana Chinese Festival with Jessie lee, Tianyu Arts and Culture, Inc.
- This is an all-outdoor walking experience that your whole family will enjoy!
- Visitors and families attend at night and will enjoy walking around and looking at the beautiful hand made Chinese Lanterns that are illuminated with more than 10,000 LED lights.
- We have 33 sets of larger-than-life lanterns. You’ll begin by entering a 30 ft. traditional Chinese gate. Many of the lantern sets have an animal-theme which kids really love….everything from pandas to penguins and dinosaurs.
- The favorite display at most shows is the 200 ft. long Chinese Dragon!
- Each lantern display has been handmade and custom built by dozens of Chinese artisans who travel the world to keep this centuries-old tradition alive. Many of them learned the lantern-making skill from their family members who have passed the skill down for more than 2,000 years.
- The event opens on Friday night, November 24 and will be open for six weeks until January 7. It takes place at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and Event Center in Celebration Park.
- In addition to the lanterns, there will be live entertainment nightly including acrobatic performances like hoop diving, hat juggling and traditional Chinese object manipulation. We also have traditional Chinese folk dancers.
- There are two performances nightly Monday – Thursday, and THREE performances Friday – Sunday.
- We also have a large heated tent with a Chinese marketplace inside. Visitors can watch traditional Chinese handicraft demonstrations like dough modeling, Chinese knots and inner bottle painting and also have the opportunity to purchase these pieces of Chinese culture.
- Both Chinese and American foods will be for sale nightly as well.
- The festival is open from 5:30 p.m.-to 10:00 p.m. nightly. We’re even open on Christmas Day and New Years Day!
- Tickets are available at indianalanternfest.com and also can be purchased throughout the event and at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum Box Office Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Tickets will also be available at the entrance to the festival nightly.
- Tickets are $10.00 for children and $15.00 for adults with multiple individual and group discounts available for seniors 65 and above and military. Children 4 and under are free. This is an event you don’t want to miss!
Produced by Tianyu Arts and Culture, Inc., the Indiana Chinese Lantern Festival will illuminate the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center – Celebration Park November 24, 2017 – January 7, 2018 with 33 sets of larger-than-life lantern displays and more than 10,000 LED light components. Visitors will explore both the ancient culture of China while learning about the Chinese traditions of today by taking a walking, interactive tour of breathtaking displays, including a 200 ft. long Chinese dragon and a 30 ft. tall traditional Chinese arch. The festival also features nightly performances by Chinese acrobats, traditional Chinese handicraft demonstrations, and the flavors of traditional Chinese cuisine.
To learn more, visit www.indianalanternfest.com.