INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Everybody loves crispy fried potato pancakes, or Latkes, especially when topped with a generous dollop of sour cream. Lighten up your Hanukah Latkes by using highly nutritious sweet potatoes and then frying or baking the classic pancake in a healthy oil and then explore alternatives to sour cream topping.
1st Segment: Making batter for sweet potato latkes. Sweet potato nutrition. Pan fry or bake in oven.
2nd Segment: Frying pan action. Cooking tips. Pull baked latkes from oven. Display with various toppings.
- Regular potatoes a wonderful, but sweet potatoes offer more nutrition
- Sweet potatoes are members of the morning glory family.
- Yams are related to lilies and grasses.
- Orange (beta carotene/vitamin A) sweet potatoes have been shown to have anti-cancer properties, NIH
- Sweet potatoes: one of the best sources of vitamin A.
- B6 vitamins which breaks down homocysteine that contributes to atherosclerosis.
- Potassium lowers blood pressure by maintaining fluid balance. American Heart Association (AHA)
- Potassium also an electrolyte that helps regulate your heartbeat. (AHA)
- Dietary fiber helps the body maintain a healthy digestive tract and regulates digestion.
Sweet Potato Latkes
- Use your own basic potato latke recipe, if you prefer, and substitute appropriately.
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes or yams 2 Tbsp. matzah meal or flour 2 eggs 1 tsp. baking powder 2 tbsp. ground flax seed 2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. nutmeg 1/4 tsp. cloves peanut, coconut, or avocado oil.
Pan Fry Latkes
- Peel and grate sweet potatoes and remove any excess moisture (can put in dish towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out moisture).
- Beat eggs and add one at a time, mixing well. Add matzoh meal or rice flour and baking powder. Add spices and mix well. Heat oil until hot and put large spoonful for each pancake. Cook until brown and flip.
- Pre-heated (450 degree)
- Coat cookie sheet with oil.
- With clean hands, shape the batter into pancakes and place onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 5-8 minutes on each side.
Sweet Potato Latkes toppings:
- Mango chutney
- Nut butter and apple
- Maple syrup and berries
- Fried egg
- Greek yogurt