‘Hero’ in Manchester blast admits stealing from victims

People hold a minute of silence in a square in central Manchester, England, Thursday, May 25, 2017, for the victims of the suicide attack at an Ariana Grande concert that left more than 20 people dead and many more injured, as it ended on Monday night at the Manchester Arena. (Ben Birchall/PA via AP)

LONDON (AP) — A homeless man characterized as a hero after the Manchester Arena bombing has admitted stealing from victims of last year’s extremist attack.

Closed-circuit TV footage played in court showed 33-year-old Chris Parker stealing a purse and mobile phone from victims of the May attack that claimed 22 lives.

He pleaded guilty Wednesday at Manchester Crown Court to theft and fraud.

Judge David Hernandez ordered Parker held in custody until a Jan. 30 sentencing date. He said a prison term is “most likely.”

Parker received global attention after he claimed to have helped comfort a number of injured and dying victims after suicide bomber Salman Abedi detonated a bomb at the end of an Ariana Grande concert.

Prosecutors said Parker provided “limited assistance” to victims but also robbed some.