24-year-old man in hospital after incense starts house fire

A man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation following a fire on March 11, 2018, on Crittenden Avenue. (WISH Photo/Logan Skidmore)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A 24-year-old man was taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition for smoke inhalation after a house fire on the north side.

Crews from Indianapolis Fire Department were called to the 4300 block of Crittenden Avenue — that’s near East Fall Creek Parkway North Drive and North Keystone Avenue — around 9:40 Sunday night for a working residence fire.

The man told authorities he had some incense burning on his nightstand when he went to take a shower. He came back to his bedroom to find his bed on fire, said Battalion Chief Rita Reith with IFD.

No other injuries were reported. It’s not clear whether anyone else lived in the house.

Damage has been estimated at $20,000.

The man is expected to recover.