Fire causes $125K in damage to Indy pancake house

(Indianapolis Fire Department Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A pancake house on the north side of Indianapolis caught fire Thursday, interrupting breakfast for customers and leaving more than $100,000 in damages behind.

The Indianapolis Fire Department responded to the Hotcakes Emporium, located at 8555 Ditch Road, around 7:30 a.m. Firefighters say employees smelled smoke and saw a light haze in the rear storage area of the restaurant. Employees and customers evacuated and called 911.

According to officials, the fire started in an outside area and spread to the inside of the building. They say discarded smoking materials possibly smoldered overnight and traveled into the walls.

The fire is being ruled accidental. No one was hurt. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s