INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – When Mom’s happy, everyone is happy. This year, shower mom with thoughtfulness, love and gratitude, and that includes showing her love with food.
Ordering a greasy pizza does not say, “I love you.” When making the best breakfast in bed, french toast is a perennial pleasing breakfast option.
This is a day and a chance to express gratitude, so try to take extra time and prepare it with a lot of love.
Tradition is comfortable, but Americans are shifting away from the traditional french toast made with white sliced bread, margarine and syrup. Those lack nutritional value.
Restaurants advertise a higher caloric version, that resembles more of a fattening dessert than a wholesome, nourishing breakfast.
Mother’s Day French Toast Re-Do
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups almond, coconut or hempseed milk
- 1/4 cup grand marnier or marsala
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 loaf oat, whole grain or gluten-free bread
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Real maple syrup, for serving
- Handful of washed, drained, and hulled strawberries
• In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, liquor, orange and lemon zest, orange juice, syrup and salt. Whisk to combined.
• Heat the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
• One at a time, dip the bread slices into egg mixture and moisten thoroughly. Do not over-soak.
• Quickly transfer soaked bread to skillet and cook until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
• Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with fibrous flax seed and serve hot with homemade strawberry maple syrup.