INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – One dog is dead following a house fire Monday afternoon.
According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, crews arrived on scene, in the 2200 block of Broadway Street, around 3:45 p.m.
Crews initially reported seeing heaving fire coming from the residence upon arrival.
Several crews began aggressively fighting the fire and were able to get the flames under control around 4:15 p.m.
No one was home at the time the fire broke. However, two Labradors were discovered inside the house during the fire, and despite the best efforts of emergency crews, one of the dogs did perish. The other dog was rescued by firefighters.
One firefighter was slightly injured, but was treated and released on scene. No other injures were reported.
Occupants of the home told crews they believe a discarded cigarette on the porch is to blame for the fire.
Damage has been estimated at more than $100,000.
The fire remains under investigation.