INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An “apple a day keeps the doctor away” is as American as apple pie. And for good reason since crunchy, juicy, sweet apples and their skin contain an orchard of plant nutrients science says can prevent many of today’s chronic diseases. Support your community-visit your local orchard with the kids.
What you’ll need for apple nachos:
- 3 crispy and slightly tart apples, cored
- 1 tsp fresh not bottled lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Wash apples in lukewarm soapy water
- Slice apples thin enough so it’ll be easy to eat the slice in one or two bites.
- Lightly spritzed the apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning too fast.
- Gently melt the chocolate in a double boiler and stir in the cayenne.
- Melted some peanut butter–until it’s super runny and then drizzled it all over the apples. Repeat with the melted cayenne-chocolate.
- Then top apples, chocolate and peanut butter with unsweetened flaked coconut, sliced almonds, a few pecans.