Love your heart. Eat your seafood! Did you know… October is National Seafood Month?! So take the Healthy Heart Pledge and eat at least two servings of seafood each week. It will help you and your family improve your health. Basilmomma Heather Tallman and Brian Truax, from Falling Waters Farm, explain how!
About Falling Waters Farm:
Falling Waters Farm provides high-quality, locally-produced fish, basil, leafy greens and microgreens in an efficient, environmentally-responsible and sustainable manner. Located in downtown Indianapolis.
Falling Waters Farm
• Indiana has the 13th highest death rate from cardiovascular disease in the U.S.
• Heart disease is the #1 killer in Indiana.
• Stroke is the #4 killer in Indiana.
• According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, eating about eight ounces per week of a variety of seafood can help prevent heart disease.
• Take the Healthy Heart Pledge to eat seafood twice a week!
• #HealthyHeartPledge www.seafoodnutrition.org/healthy-heart-pledge.html
Fish Burrito Bowls
1 Tb ground cumin
1 Tb chili powder
1 tsp ground red pepper
4-5 tilapia filets (frozen is fine, just add to cooking time)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 C frozen corn, thawed
1 can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 small tomato, diced
Garnish: lime slices, tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado
Combine spices and season with salt and pepper.
Dust tilapia on both sides with spice blend.
Place tilapia in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
Cook on both sides until fish is flaky and white.
Remove fish from pan and add onion, garlic and peppers.
Cook just until soft.
Reduce heat to low and toss in the beans, corn and tomato.
Remove from heat and combine, in pan, with the fish.
Add contents evenly to bowls filled with a cooked grain or rice.
Garnish with lime, tortilla chips, avocado or sour cream.
Cooking time: 15 min.
For more seafood recipes, visit www.seafoodnutrition.org/ind.html