Local high school seeks donations for students affected by string of tragedies

Fire destroyed an East 77th Street home Tuesday night. Two teen boys were in the process of moving out when the fire began. (Photo credit: Indianapolis Fire Department)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — North Central High School is coming together to help two students after their family was rattled by a string of tragedies.

Most recently, a Tuesday night fire destroyed the home where the 16 and 18-year-old had been living. The fire happened fifteen months after the brothers’ father, a snow plow driver, was tragically killed in a crash.

School officials invited people to drop off donations the school baseball field during Wednesday night’s game. They say money raised will go to college tuition for the students, who both play baseball.

The rental home where they’d been living is now destroyed. A family member said she was packing to move the two out that house and into their aunt’s, and the fire started after she put a quilt in the dryer.

Their mother is currently ill and away from home, which is why the two were moving in with their aunt, Tina Snider.

“I’m just really sad that anything my nephew’s would have had from their dad is gone,” Snider said. “We found some pictures, which was good.”

The fire killed one cat. Snider said she’s relieved the family member inside wasn’t hurt.

The family did find some of their stuff undamaged, including a poster signed by friends after last year’s crash.

Now the brothers are staying with Tina, as the family moves on from yet another tragedy.

People can drop off donations at the North Central High School baseball field until 8 p.m. Wednesday, or they can drop off donations at Chase Bank to the account of Alexander Snider.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s