INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Firefighters are battling a fire on the city’s north side.
Crews responded to the 8700 block of Pemberton Circle around 1:15 p.m. Thursday.
That’s near 86th Street and Ditch Road.
Authorities said the fire started as a result of unattended grease. A female, who was cooking french fries at the time, left to retrieve her phone and after returning to her the fries, discovered the fire.
The 21-year-old female, a two-year-old child and an eight-month-old were able to escape from the unit unharmed. However, one civilian, a 63-year-old man, was taken to St. Vincent Indianapolis Hospital to be checked out. Three firefighters were also slightly injured. One suffered a knee injury and was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital, a second was transported to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi for a slight burn and another was transported to the Healthworks for an unknown injury.
As many as eight units suffered heavy damage as a result, displacing possibly 30 residents.
Damage has been estimated at $750,000.
The Indianapolis Fire Department and the Red Cross are working together in order to provide shelter for those displaced residents.
WISH-TV has a crew on the scene and will update this story when more information is made available.